Will I be Fit by Forty?

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Race Report - Barnyard Dash (10K)

On Saturday, June 11, 2011 I ran the 9th Annual Barnyard Dash 10K at Huber's in Starlight, Indiana.

When I signed up for this race I was a little worried about doing a 10K only three weeks after my half marathon.  My recovery from that race went much better then I ever expected.  I didn't expect to be recovering from kettlebell!

I went to this race with my friend Tami.  We had a nice drive up to Huber's that morning.  I ate my banana (which has become my tradition before a race now) and we picked up our race numbers and shirts.  (they are BRIGHT pink!! Jay asked me if it came with its own battery!)

This was a much smaller race then the ones I had done up to now (300 or so runners compared to the 1,000s in the other races).  It was kind of nice to not have as many people to deal with.

The race started and I immediately realized that I was already pretty much at the very back of the pack.  All of a sudden I got scared that I was going to come in last.  I don't know why that would bother me so much - but it's one of the things I'm the most scared of.

I started out way too fast.  I could just tell - but I couldn't get myself to slow down.

It was a hot day when we started (8:00 am start was a little late for my liking) and I knew I was going to have a tough time right from the start.  By mile 2 1/2 I started walking.  I've come to realize that I just can't handle the heat.  When I get overheated I have a hard time getting my breath and I just tire out.  It might be that I'm not hydrating correctly - or I it just might be that I have a lot of weight I still need to lose so I don't get so hot.

I decided to just suck it up - walk when I need to - and just walk fast.

For the first time, I decided to really try to pass certain people.  I would pick out someone far ahead of me that was walking/running slowly and work to pass them.  I have to admit that it felt really good when I was able to pass them.

I also realized about half way through the race that even though I was walking for quite a bit, I was still maintaining a really good average pace.  Around mile 4 1/2 I realized that I could possible PR (personal record) this race.

I just kept at it - walking some - running some - and trying to maintain as fast of a pace as I could.

I finally crossed the finish line and knew that I was close.  I couldn't remember my official 10K time from the spring so I had to wait until I got home to know for sure.

I found my friends (both Tami and my friends from Runtheville ), got some water, a banana and some strawberries and sat down to wait for the door prizes.  This race was started by a running store in Southern Indiana and they give out cash!  This year they were giving 10 $50 bills.  Unfortunately, none of us won any money, but it was kind of fun to see people winning the money.

Results - Time - 1:24:44 (21 seconds slower then my last 10K) Average Pace - 13:25

Observations:

1.  I used to think that run/walkers were annoying.  I'm now beginning to realize that I might be able to go "faster" if I started running and walking my races.  I may need to start looking into this more.

2.  I think I've finally realized that I'm a runner.  Me....I'm a runner!  I did a 10K without even really thinking about it.  6.2 miles - no problem!

3.  Strawberries after a race are really good!!!!

4.  I think I need to get a hydration belt or one of those hand held water bottles.  There were not enough water stops in this race (only two!) and I think if I would have had water with me it would have helped.

(I don't have any pictures from this race because I'm stupid and didn't take any!)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you ARE a runner. And run/walking is definitely something to consider. You still get a great workout without feeling so drained. And I have noticed since I've been run/walking while pg that I tend to get faster or equal times by doing so.

    Great racing! Good job!

    ReplyDelete